Monday, June 08, 2009

In His Image


God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him. – Genesis 1:27

It seems strange that this Bible verse always comes into my mind when I see a person who, according to human standards, is “disabled”. The last time I thought of this verse was after my husband and I had met one of the Armenian children we are sponsoring. Sargis is what people call “severely handicapped”, both mentally and physically. This is certainly not how any of us would imagine God! However – remember a quote of Mother Teresa who, asked how she could do all this hard work for the poor and sick people, replied: “I see Jesus in every human being!” Of course this brings us to another Bible verse: ’For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' – Matthew 25: 35-40 NIV - Maybe this is the reason why I think of the “image” verse every time I see a person with special needs – and why little Sargis has stolen my heart within the short time we met!

2 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Hey Barbara,
Thank you for your comment on my blog :). I just wanted to let you know, I had to delete your comment because we're not allowed to post Kellsey's country for all kinds of weird legal reasons. We're supposed to just say "Eastern Europe". I made the mistake early on and had to change it all! LOL I just didn't want you to think I didn't appreciate your comment!! I pray this sweet boy gets home soon!

Tim and Susan said...

There was a family in Japan that we were reaching out to with a disabled child...I think what alwasy drew them to the Bible and the Lord was just that; that God had made their child special.

Susan