This is the question raised by a book I read recently (unfortunately it is only available in German). It deals with the fact that the teachings, traditions and rules of a particular church of course have an effect on the members of this church. Some follow the teachings and traditions of “their” church without thinking whether these teachings are either biblical at all or – if they are – that there might be alternatives to these. When then people of this kind happen to be in a church of a different denomination they get confused and even question whether that church is bible-based, because it has some different traditions and maybe even teachings than one’s own church. However, the scale to measure a church – one’s own or another one – is always the Bible. And who tells you that your own church or denomination is 100% biblical, if you do not take the time to question it? Of course – first you must be prepared to question your own point of view! As Paul put it:
My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? […] What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building. - 1 Corinthians 1:11-13; 3:5-9 NIV
In case you are able to read German, on my German blog I wrote a review on the book I mentioned. There you can also find the book's data, if you like to read it yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment